2012 GOLF TOURNAMENT
On the morning of May 12, 2012, 147 golfers arrived at Stonebridge Golf Course to play in the 1st Annual Amazing Gracie’s Golf Scramble. It was a beautiful, sunny day full of smiles and laughter all in memory of our special angel and in an effort to raise funds for a great cause, Amazing Gracie’s Gift Foundation.
Throughout the day many volunteers helped the events throughout the day stay organized and run smoothly. There were activities and games throughout the golf course that put a smile on everyone’s face, followed by a dinner, auctions and entertainment at the end of the day. As countless people made their way to the pavilion for dinner a wave of awe came across our family. We knew we went into Gracie’s battle with cancer with so many people supporting us, but we couldn’t believe the continued support we are receiving in memory of our daughter and the foundation created in her name.
A HUGE thank you to all who volunteered, donated or golfed on this special day. You helped make this event a success and we look forward to creating great memories for a great cause at next year’s tournament with you!
The following is the speech that was made at the golf tournament:
Thank you for coming today and supporting Amazing Gracie’s Gift Foundation and our daughter Gracie’s memory. This being our first golf tournament my friends and I decided we were going to golf. My team today had never golfed and were going into this game blind. The same way we went into Gracie’s battle with cancer- blind. The same way we are beginning this foundation- blind. These 3 situations are not only similar in that way, but also in the way that even though were going into them blind we are going into them with the support of our family and friends. So with the support of my friends our “never golfed before” team headed out one afternoon a few weeks ago to try this game of golf. We knew nothing about how to play and learned a few lessons about the game of golf that day.
I’d like to share the top 5 lessons I learned about the game of golf that day:
1. Do not leave kids in the golf cart unattended, actually don’t bring kids with you when you golf.
2. You should not share 1 set of clubs between 6 people, which leads to…
3. You should not have a team of 6, it’s called a foursome, not a sixsome.
4. Do not use tees every single time you hit the ball, only when you tee off.
5. The driver is used when you tee off, not every single time you hit the ball.
We did our best not to break any of those rules today!
Not only have I learned a few lessons about golf this year, but also about life. I’d like to share them with you:
1. Love your family and friends. Love with your whole heart, soul, mind and body. Never forget to tell people you love the most just how important they are. You never know how much they need to hear it.
2. Be happy and appreciate the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary. When I think of times I laughed or had the most fun it was doing the simplest things… such as golfing with friends. Happiest people are the most beautiful. Become the happy person you want to be. Life is too short not to be happy. Gracie was such a happy baby, even when she endured chemo treatments last summer. Cancer eventually took that happiness away. She was robbed of her happiness, but we don’t have to be.
3. Be thankful for everything you have. No matter how much or how little. If you have kids be thankful that they are healthy. Nothing else matters. If you don’t have kids be thankful for your health or the health of the loved ones in your life. Just be thankful.
4. Volunteer and get involved with whatever you are passionate about. Ronald McDonald House, at a homeless shelter, at the humane society, with our foundation, anything. I promise you will feel better about yourself, about your life. Do something to make a difference.
I love you all, Gracie loves you all and please know that she would be proud of what was done here today in her name, in her memory.